Advanced bariatric surgery in Dallas, Texas
Medical City Dallas maintains the longest continuously running bariatric program in North Texas, offering weight loss surgery since 1979. The bariatric surgery specialists and general surgeons are some of the most experienced in Dallas, and the dedicated bariatric team is committed to your lifelong post-surgical needs.
Medical City Dallas is a bariatric center of excellence with several insurance carriers, including Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield and United HealthCare.
To learn more about the bariatric surgery options we offer, please call our Bariatric Coordinator at (972) 566-6749.
Advanced weight loss surgery in Dallas, Texas
Our Bariatric & Metabolic Institutes within the Medical City Healthcare system offer a full range of bariatric surgical options, including:
- Gastric banding—This is when a band is placed around the upper part of the stomach to regulate food intake. The surgical team also performs gastric band removal procedures.
- Gastric bypass (Roux-en-Y)—This is when the surgeon staples a small pouch in the stomach. The remainder of the stomach is divided from the stomach pouch. The outlet from the newly formed pouch empties directly into the lower portion of the jejunum (part of the small intestine).
- Sleeve gastrectomy—This is when a thin vertical sleeve of stomach is created using a stapling device. The excised portion of the stomach is then removed, which also causes ghrelin (the "hunger hormone") to decrease.
- Duodenal switch—This is when the surgeon creates a small stomach pouch shaped like a tube, making the stomach smaller. The lower part of the small intestine is attached to the new, smaller stomach. The procedure changes the flow of food by not mixing digestive enzymes until farther along in the digestive tract.
- Revision surgery—The surgical team provides revision surgery for patients who have experienced complications or inadequate results from bariatric surgery. This can be a result of a metabolic or a mechanical issue.
Robotic weight loss procedures
Robotic surgery allows your doctor to perform surgery using only a few small incisions with enhanced vision, precision and control. The surgeons perform the following robotic-assisted procedures:
- Gastric bypass (Roux-en-Y)
- Sleeve gastrectomy
- Robotic duodenal switch and revisions
Recognized for excellence in bariatric surgery
At the Bariatric & Metabolic Institute, we are focused on providing patients in Dallas with the highest level of care possible. Because of this, we are recognized as:
- A Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program Accredited Center
- An Aetna Bariatric Institute of Quality
- A Blue Cross Blue Shield Blue Distinction Center+ for Bariatric Surgery
- A Cigna Certified Bariatric Center
How much weight will I lose?
Bariatric surgery candidates who undergo a weight loss procedure can expect to lose approximately five to 30 pounds per month, decreasing over time as you approach your goal weight. The anticipated successful result is greater than 50 percent excess weight loss for greater than five years.
Factors that affect how much weight you lose after bariatric surgery include:
- Type of surgery
- Body mass index (BMI)/starting weight
- Adherence to prescribed program
What to expect the day of your surgery
You will arrive in Day Surgery on the second floor of Building A. The surgical team will guide you through the surgical process. This starts with a nurse taking your vital signs and then meeting with your surgeon and anesthesiologist.
After your surgery, you can expect to walk within four hours. You will be discharged when your pain is under control, you are tolerating liquids and you are able to urinate adequately.
Weight Loss Support Group
At Medical City Dallas, we are here for you throughout your weight loss journey. Our Weight Loss Support Group offers patients who have undergone bariatric surgery, or those who are considering it, an opportunity to support one another and ask physicians any questions they may have.
The group meets virtually on the first Monday of each month from 6 pm to 7 pm. Please call (972) 566-6749 for information on how to join. Future topics include:
- Aug. 5: Managing weight plateaus
- Sept. 2: Body contouring after bariatric surgery
- Oct. 7: Vitamins and minerals
- Nov. 4: Cooking demonstration
- Dec. 2: Holiday jeopardy
Valerie Liao, MD, program director for non-surgical weight loss, was interviewed on KRLD radio's "The Human Side of Healthcare" about healthy diet tips during the pandemic. The interview starts at 19:44.
Bariatric surgery at Medical City Healthcare
Bariatric surgery, also commonly referred to as weight loss surgery, is generally performed on patients struggling with obesity. There are several types of bariatric surgery, but they all aim to decrease food intake with the goal of rapid weight loss.Learn about Bariatric surgery
- Medical City Alliance
- Medical City Dallas
- Medical City Denton
- Medical City Fort Worth
- Medical City Frisco, a Medical City Plano Facility
- Medical City Las Colinas
- Medical City Lewisville
- Medical City McKinney
- Medical City North Hills