Trauma centers in North Texas
Trauma centers are located in Medical City hospitals equipped with specific resources and trauma specialists. These trauma experts are specially trained to provide treatment and care to severely injured patients. Traumatic injuries can include motor vehicle accidents and falls, among others.
Trauma center services complement traditional hospital and emergency department services and enhance the level of care that hospitals provide to the communities they serve.
Find a Medical City ER near you. You can also contact our free Ask a Nurse line.
Trauma center level designations
Trauma centers must meet certain requirements for Level I to Level IV designations, with Level I Trauma Centers providing the highest level of specialized care. Verification for Level I and II centers is completed by the American College of Surgeons (ACS). Level III and IV centers are verified by the Texas EMS Trauma and Acute Care Foundation and then designated by the State of Texas.
While requirements vary by state, here are common criteria for trauma centers as listed by the ATS:
Level I Trauma Center
Medical City Plano is the first and only hospital to achieve designation as a Level I Trauma Center in Plano, Texas. Elements of a Level I Trauma Center include:
- 24/7 coverage by trauma surgeons
- Easy accessibility to specialties such as orthopedic surgery, anesthesiology, plastic surgery and more
- Outreach efforts for preventive care and public education to surrounding communities
- Continuing education for trauma team members
- Leading innovations in trauma care through organized teaching and research
- Substance abuse screenings and interventions
Level II Trauma Center
A Level II Trauma Center provides definitive care for most injuries with the exception of some complex injuries. Medical City Arlington, Medical City Denton and Medical City McKinney are designated as Level II Trauma Centers.
Level II Trauma Centers include:
- 24/7 coverage by trauma surgeons
- Prompt access to other specialties
- Trauma prevention and continuing education programs for staff
- Outreach for prevention and public education to surrounding communities
- Programs for substance abuse screening and patient interventions
Level III Trauma Center
A Level III Trauma Center has demonstrated an ability to provide prompt assessment, resuscitation, emergency operations, intensive care and stabilization of injured patients. Level III Trauma Centers can be found at Medical City Alliance, Medical City Frisco, Medical City Las Colinas, Medical City Lewisville and Medical City North Hills.
Elements of Level III Trauma Centers include:
- 24/7 coverage by ER physicians and availability of general surgeons within 30 minutes of notification
- Continuing education for the nursing and trauma team
- An active outreach program and coordination of prevention efforts
Level IV Trauma Center
A Level IV Trauma Center has demonstrated an ability to provide advanced trauma life support (ATLS), including evaluation, stabilization and diagnostics, prior to transporting patients to a higher level trauma center.
Elements of Level IV Trauma Centers include:
- Basic ER to implement ATLS protocols and 24-hour laboratory coverage
- Trauma nurses and physicians available upon patient arrival
- Transfer agreements for patients requiring more comprehensive care at a Level I or Level II Trauma Center
- A comprehensive quality assessment program
- Active outreach efforts for the surrounding communities
Stop the Bleed training
Trauma experts at Medical City Healthcare hospitals provide Stop the Bleed training, a course in bleeding control created by the ACS for thousands of first responders, healthcare professionals, students, teachers and others in the North Texas community every year.
Stop the Bleed training courses cover these important steps:
- Safety first: Get yourself and the injured person to safety
- Call 911: Or ask another bystander to make the call
- Determine where the person is bleeding: Apply pressure and pack the wound
- Apply tourniquets as needed: To arms and legs only
Interested in Stop the Bleed training for your group, school or organization? Visit our contact page to fill out the form for the hospital near you.
Trauma center locations
Retrieving location data...