Take Care

Joint pain can often come and go, but if it’s prolonged, a specialist should be consulted. Dr. Stephanie Stephens, an orthopedic surgeon at Medical City Arlington, says there are three signs to look for. They are:

  • Pain that lingers for more than a few days
  • Pain that is associated with swelling, or catching and locking, or instability
  • After experiencing a trauma, like slipping on the stairs, pain that just won’t go away

Here are some recommendations for the initial treatment of joint pain:

  • Use ice for more acute pain
  • Use heat for more chronic or muscle pain
  • Take an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory pain reliever

If these recommendations don’t provide some relief for your pain, make an appointment with an orthopedic specialist.

At Medical City Healthcare, we’re dedicated to the care and improvement of human life. So we hope you’ll Take Care!

For more information, call our Ask a Nurse hotline 24/7 or use Find a Doctor online.  

Have an idea for a Take Care video topic? Email us with your suggestion.