Summer’s here and kids are ready to get outside. Dr. Phillip Ewing, a pediatric emergency medicine physician at Medical City Dallas, offers some useful tips to stay safe and still have fun.
- Leave the fireworks to the professionals – enjoy the show and avoid unnecessary burns
- Practice sun safety to protect your skin – use sunscreen and wear protective clothing when possible
- Limit exercise during the heat of the day to 20-minute increments with water breaks in between
- If a child begins to feel ill, is dry, has a headache or is nauseated, seek medical attention
- Practice water safety
- Keep new swimmers within arm’s reach
- Always keep a watchful eye, even on more experienced swimmers
- When diving, make sure to dive into deep water
- Always wear a life jacket when participating in lake and boating activities
- Be safe using an ATV (all-terrain vehicle) – wear a helmet at all times and only licensed drivers should be at the wheel
At Medical City Healthcare, we’re dedicated to the care and improvement of human life. So we hope you’ll Take Care!
Have an idea for a Take Care video topic? E-mail us with your suggestion.