When dealing with stomach pain, it’s important to characterize its type, said Suhail Sharif, MD, a general surgeon at Medical City Fort Worth. Severity can be determined by asking three questions.
- What type of pain is it? Dull, achy constant pain, or a sharp, stabbing pain?
- Where is the pain located in the abdomen? Upper, lower, right or left side?
- Is the pain associated with any other symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, bloating or indigestion?
While most abdominal pain does not require surgery, you should seek emergency medical attention for these conditions:
- Constant abdominal pain
- Pain associated with high fever that is constant
- The characteristics of the pain change
At Medical City Healthcare, we’re dedicated to the care and improvement of human life. So we hope you’ll Take Care!
Have an idea for a Take Care video topic? Email us with your suggestion.