Safe Pain Medicine Prescribing in the ER
Medical City Healthcare is committed to the health and safety of our patients. Our hospitals and ERs participate in the National Academy of Medicine Action Collaborative on Countering the U.S. Opioid Epidemic in an effort to reduce the misuse and abuse through alternative pain management strategies.
For your safety, we prescribe non-opioid medications whenever possible.
- Multiple methods of pain control, where non-opioid medications or treatments are used to combat pain at its source, has proven successful for many patients.
- Pain prescriptions are electronically delivered directly to the pharmacy when possible.
- We will provide you with a medical screening exam to evaluate your pain and the best short-term treatment option for your condition.
For your safety, we are unable to:
- Provide more than a short course of opioid painkillers.
- Provide long-acting opioid painkillers, such as oxycodone (OxyContin), morphine (MS Contin), fentanyl patches or methadone.
- Refill lost, stolen or destroyed prescriptions.