Medical City Plano Voted Best Place to Have a Baby in Collin County! - DFW Child Best Moms & Babies 2020
Obstetrics care in Plano, Texas
Pregnancy is a special time for you, and your delivery is a moment you will remember for the rest of your life. That’s why our maternity care team takes such great care in meeting every need you have. Your care, your comfort and your privacy are all top priorities when you deliver your child at Medical City Plano.
To schedule a tour of our Labor and Delivery department, please contact our Women's Resource Center at (972) 519-1251.
Labor and delivery services
We believe every mom-to-be deserves the royal treatment. At our hospital, an expert team of nurses, OB/GYNs and specialty physicians will help you have a safe, comfortable delivery—whether you are experiencing a routine or high-risk pregnancy.
Our luxury suites include memory-foam beds, luxury baths for mom and separate bedrooms and lounge areas with a kitchenette for guests.
As the "Best Place to Have a Baby" in Collin County for 2019 and 2020, as voted by the readers of DFWChild magazine, we are dedicated to providing you with comprehensive childbirth services, including:
- Pain relief options, including epidural, nitrous oxide and aromatherapy/essential oils
- Support for your choice of delivery method, including doula care and natural childbirth
- Childbirth education classes
- Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- Breastfeeding support with the Texas Ten Step program
- High-risk pregnancy care
- World-class labor and delivery nurses certified in Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS), Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) and Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN)
- Remote fetal heart monitoring, which allows your OB/GYN to remotely monitor you and your baby in real time
- Enhanced infant security system
- Lactation support and in-room breast pumps
- Adoption, surrogacy and same-sex partner support
- Cord blood donation
Tour our labor and delivery department
We welcome expectant parents to visit our hospital prior to labor and delivery, so they can get a feel for the amenities, services and atmosphere in our labor and delivery department. The tour lasts one-hour and is free to attend.Register for hospital tour
High-risk pregnancy and neonatal specialty care
If you have a high-risk pregnancy, you'll appreciate the range of specialists available to you and your little one at our hospital. This means your baby can stay here, where you are, and doesn't need to be transferred to another facility to receive the right level of care. The staff at Medical City Plano includes:
- OB/GYN hospitalists—A board-certified OB/GYN is onsite 24/7 and is available to assist your doctor in times when they are unavailable or in an emergency.
- Maternal-fetal medicine specialists—These specialists work with women experiencing a high-risk pregnancy.
- Neonatologists—A board-certified neonatologist is onsite 24/7. Neonatologists have received special training in caring for newborns, especially sick and premature babies.
- Anesthesiologists—An anesthesiologist and certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA) are onsite for labor and delivery 24/7.
- Nurse navigator—A nurse navigator is a registered nurse who guides patients through their care plan and can answer your questions at any point during your stay.
- Pediatric respiratory therapists—A practitioner who helps premature babies establish and maintain an open airway and provides breathing treatments.
- Pediatric occupational therapists—A therapist who helps premature infants through specialized body positioning to promote healthy development.
- Pediatric speech therapists—These specialists help premature babies by stimulating the muscles that allow them to suck, swallow and breathe properly.
- Pediatric dietitians—A specialist who develops customized nutrition programs for premature infants based on individualized needs.
- Pediatric ophthalmologists—A physician who ensures premature infants develop a healthy sense of sight.
We are also home to the first Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) in Collin County. Two neonatologists are onsite 24/7, and our pediatric surgeons can perform procedures at your baby’s bedside.
Complete postpartum care
Our postpartum care includes the full "red-carpet treatment" for new moms. After delivery, mom will recover in one of our plush, hotel-like postpartum rooms or suites, with comforting touches and the amenities you and your baby want. Your family can start with a gourmet celebratory meal, then enjoy our Dine on Demand food options.
As researched by the World Health Organization and the American Academy of Pediatrics, breastfeeding has a myriad of benefits for mother and baby. For that reason, we encourage and support breastfeeding moms.
Our Outpatient Lactation Clinic, located in Medical Office Building I, will help you find the techniques and equipment that work best for you. Schedule an appointment with a lactation consultant for support, information and guidance by calling us at (972) 519-1450.
Unique lactation support options
After delivery, mothers often feel emotionally stressed and anxious that they will not make "enough" breast milk to feed their newborn. This stress and anxiety can actually impede their milk production, delaying or even halting lactation.
As a solution to this psychological element, we give mothers an opportunity to focus on what they can do to help themselves. In collaboration with the food and nutrition department, we have a special beverage with specific ingredients known to promote human lactation. Mothers staying with us after delivery have access to this as part of our dining service, Dine on Demand. Mothers who participate in this beverage selection report feeling less stressed and anxious about their abilities to produce enough breast milk and state they feel more in control of their milk production.
Best childbirth classes in Collin County
It is best to begin taking childbirth courses when you are 27 to 28 weeks along in your pregnancy. Our class options include:
- Refresher Childbirth Class
- Prepared Childbirth Class
- Newborn Baby Care Class
- Infant Safety and CPR
- Breastfeeding and Breast Pumping Class
- Prenatal Yoga
- Sibling Camp
- New Dads 101
- Grandparenting 101 Class
For questions about classes or support groups, call us at (214) 473-7317.
Professional newborn photography in the comfort of your room
We partner with Mom 365 Photography to take your newborn's first photos right here in the hospital, before you go home. No need to arrange your photo shoot ahead of time—photographers make the rounds just like our physicians.
Your photographer will use natural window light and a professional-grade SLR digital camera to capture your baby's first days with you and your family. The result—creative, professional images that you'll treasure forever.
Your images will be posted in an online, custom slideshow the same day of your photo shoot. Online viewing and ordering is available for two weeks to anyone with whom you share your password.
Labor and delivery at Medical City Healthcare
Just as every baby is unique, so is every delivery. As your partner in care, we provide a customized birthing experience that begins long before your first contraction and continues well after delivery.Learn about Labor and delivery