What to expect at pre-admission testing
If your doctor has referred you for a joint replacement surgery, you will need a pre-admission testing (PAT) appointment at Medical City McKinney.
PAT is done at the hospital 1-2 weeks prior to your planned surgery. Your participation in the PAT interview and testing is needed to provide optimal care during and following your procedure to promote the best possible outcome.
You can expect:
- Blood work or labs drawn
- Chest X-ray or EKG (electrocardiogram)
- MRSA (methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus) nasal swab important to prevent post-operative infections
- Hibiclens soap and instructions on how to use
- Review of medications and medical history with the nurse and instructions for the day of surgery
- Review of pre-operative education material
- Sign consents and other paperwork
- Answer any questions you may have and tour of the hospital, if desired
Depending on the procedure, you may not need to do all of the items. We want your surgical procedure and recovery to be as successful and comfortable as possible.
We also want you to have all of the information about your procedure and recovery to feel confident throughout your hospital stay.
For more information, call (972) 547-8000.