Enhanced Surgical Recovery is a multi-faceted, multidisciplinary approach taken before, during and after surgery to improve post-surgical outcomes.
What is included?
- Optimizing nutrition with a carbohydrate drink taken 2 hours prior to surgery
- Hemodynamic monitoring during surgery and giving intravenous fluids based on the data
- Multimodal pain control regimen, minimizing opioid use
- Early transition to oral medications and early allowance of food
- Early mobilization
Why use Enhanced Surgical Recovery?
- Decreased perioperative complications
- Decreased hospital length of stay
- Increased patient satisfaction
- Improved use of hospital resources
- Decreased use of opioids
What should patients expect?
- Arrival 2 to 3 hours prior to planned surgery to receive the carbohydrate drink
- Use of a combination of pain medications post surgery
- Early transition to oral medications and oral nutrition
For more information, call (972) 547-8000.