Child life internship
The child life internship at Medical City Children's Hospital is offered to currently enrolled or graduated Bachelor or Master level students whose academic focus is in child life, child/family development or other related fields.
Our child life internship is 600 hours in length and will give students the opportunity to observe and learn in both inpatient and outpatient areas. Students will participate in two long rotations and either one short (three week) rotation or one shadow week. Students will have the opportunity to participate in special events and programming during the semester.
The design of our child life internship program is based on the competencies for child life specialists endorsed by the Association of Child Life Professionals. This internship seeks to provide students with an opportunity to enhance their education with on-site experiences in a pediatric hospital setting.
- Completion of required course work as outlined by Association of Child Life Professionals' Eligibility Assessment
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0+
- Completion of 150 hour practicum experience under the supervision of a Certified Child Life Specialist
- A minimum of 100 verified hours of experience with well infants, children, youth and/or families
- A minimum of 100 verified hours of experience with infants, children, youth and/or families in health care settings or in stressful situations
If you have met the requirements for our internship program, please request the Medical City Children's Internship Application Packet by emailing MCCH.ChildLifeInternship@MedicalCityHealth.com.
- Application must be complete and post marked by due date
- Medical City Children's Hospital follows the recommended deadlines set by the Association of Child Life Professionals.
We are not offering a fall 2020 internship. We will not be accepting students into the Spring 2021 internship session.
We do not offer summer internships.
At Medical City Children's Hospital, our interview process involves MMI (Multi-Mini Interviews). During MMIs, candidates will rotate through interview stations. A brief overview of the internship program and tour of the facility will be provided.
For any questions, please email MCCH.ChildLifeInternship@MedicalCityHealth.com.
Child life practicum
The practicum at Medical City Children’s Hospital provides 150+ hours of exposure to the child life profession and is designed to prepare students for a child life internship. Our practicum consists of both clinical and non-clinical requirements. Practicum students will have the opportunity to observe child life specialists providing services, participate in various programming activities including group playroom sessions, individual play, and special events, develop assessment skills, become familiar with the medical environment, and introduce basic child life services. Non-clinical requirements include weekly journals, patient assessments, daily observation worksheets, reading assignments, a diagnosis paper, and case study presentations. Students will have ongoing supervision and feedback from the child life specialists. Our practicum follows the Six Recommended Standards outlined by the Association of Child Life Professionals.
Applicants must have the following prerequisites to be considered for a practicum at Medical City Children’s Hospital:
- Applicants must be considered at sophomore level in college or beyond. Affiliation is not required.
- Applicants must have passed and completed the following three (3) courses before the practicum begins:
- Play Course
- Child Development Course
- Child Life Course taught by Certified Child Life Specialist
If courses are not completed at time of application, please submit proof of enrollment.
- Applicants must have an overall GPA of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale
- Applicants must have completed a minimum of 100 hours of experience working or volunteering with children. Volunteer experience with hospitalized children is strongly recommended.
At this time, we will offer a Summer 2021 Practicum
We utilize the Texas Association of Child Life Professionals Common Child Life Practicum Application .
- Application Checklist
- Typed TACLP common application
- 1 page professional resume
- Transcript(s) may be official or unofficial
- 2 TACLP Practicum Reference Forms signed and sealed, with signature on seal of envelope.
- We will accept an electronic version of TACLP Practicum Reference Forms from references. These must be emailed to Lauren Ransbottom (Practicum Coordinator) at Lauren.Ransbottom@MedicalCityHealth.com by the person filling out the reference form. We will not accept emailed reference forms from applicants themselves.
At least one reference must be from someone who has observed your work with children. No personal (friends/family) references accepted.
- Please send appropriate items to:
Child Life Services
Medical City Children’s Hospital
7777 Forest Lane, 6th floor, Bldg. “D”
Dallas, Texas 75230
- Incomplete or late applications will not be reviewed. ALL items listed above must be included in one packet and mailed together, unless reference forms are emailed in. No other part of the application may be sent electronically. Please only include requested materials, as supplemental materials will not be accepted or reviewed.
- Application packets must be postmarked by the application deadline. To confirm receipt of your application, use an expedited, traceable mail service or the postal service’s delivery confirmation. We will not notify you when your application has been received. However, we will notify you regarding the interview process.
Exact interview dates are still to be determined. Interviews will most likely be virtual and will take place in early-mid February 2021.
Deadline, offer, and acceptance dates
|Practicum Session - Starting Month||Application Postmarked by||Interviews||Applications Notified by||Students Responses by|
|Spring - January||September 19th||October||4th Tuesday of October||Following Wednesday|
|Summer- June||January 19th||February||4th Tuesday of February||Following Wednesday|
|Fall - September||March 29th||April - May||3rd Tuesday of May||Following Wednesday|
Child life workshop
The Child Life Workshop is an interactive workshop that takes place four times a year at pediatric hospitals in the Dallas Fort Worth area. This is an opportunity to explore the field of child life in-depth and better understand the requirements to become a Certified Child Life Specialist. This workshop is open to high school juniors and seniors, college students, graduate students, and adults considering a career change.
What is covered?
- An overview of the clinical work of a Certified Child Life Specialist
- Panel discussion with Certified Child Life Specialists
- Importance of self-care
- Academic and clinical preparation
- The journey from student to professional - what is required and what is not
- Discuss your unique needs during breakout sessions
2020 dates and locations
Sessions are 7:30am - 12:30pm
- February 15 - Scottish Rite Hospital, Dallas
- June 27 - Cook Children's Medical Center, Fort Worth
- October 17 - Medical City Children's Hospital, Dallas
- Please register for your preferred date directly with the hospital hosting the event. Contact information is available on the host hospital’s website.
- Registration closes two weeks before the event and onsite registration is not accepted.
- Registration fee $35
For more information please contact: