Interactive Program Information
For more information about our program, please contact our program director.
How to apply
The Medical City Arlington Internal Medicine Residency Program’s mission is to develop the next generation of physicians and physician leaders. As a part of HCA Healthcare, we are driven by a single mission: Above all else, we are committed to the care and improvement of human life.
This program is designed to offer residents a rewarding, educational environment where residents are provided individualized learning opportunities by faculty and staff who support and sustain one another throughout quality care delivery. Our faculty are committed to ensuring the residents' clinical experience and educational needs are fulfilled while expanding residents’ perspectives to be inclusive of cultures, values, and ideals.
HCA Healthcare Graduate Medical Education is proud to announce the opening of our new Internal Medicine Residency Program at Medical City Healthcare. Our goal is to train well-rounded, clinically competent physicians that are capable of balancing the demands of medical practice with healthy personal lifestyles.
Our residency program not only gives you access to our first-class training facility and faculty but also to the broader network of HCA Healthcare hospitals and physicians.
The program is designed to offer residents a rewarding educational environment where they are provided individualized learning opportunities by faculty and staff who support and sustain one another throughout quality care delivery. Our faculty are committed to ensuring the residents' clinical experiences and educational needs are fulfilled while expanding their perspectives to include a vast array of cultures, values and ideals.
We strive for residents to have the skills and compassion that will help build our program's reputation as a leader across the nation.
Get to Know the Team
Sathish Karmegam, MD Program Director
Salary & Benefits Information
$950 for on-call meals will be allotted to each resident.
Residents in ACGME-accredited programs have many of the same benefits as regular HCA Healthcare employees. However, there are differences in the retirement plans and the leave policy for residents.
Medical City Arlington provides a comprehensive list of personal benefits. These include, but are not limited to:
- 401k plan
- Basic health insurance
- Professional liability insurance
- Options for dependent health, dental and life insurance
- (2) personalized lab coats are provided at the beginning of each contract year
- Annual meal stipend
- Work phone and laptop at the beginning of your training
- UWorld Step 3 provided to all PGY1
- Up to 20 business days (Monday-Friday) of holiday, vacation, professional, sick, or other leave is provided as paid time off (PTO)
- Dedicated education and research center
- 8,500 square feet includes computer lab, house staff library, and stocked dining area
- On-site call room with stocked kitchen, separate male and female sleep rooms by program, private individual showers, 2 computer stations
- Day care and flexible spending account
- Complimentary parking
- ACLS, BLS and PALS renewal
Frequently Asked Questions about our Internal Medicine Program
Yes, we have initial accreditation. Our ACGME program number is 1405100900.
No, unfortunately, our program does not accept visa applicants
Yes, we do.
No, we do not. Nights are covered by the block night teams with the exception of Saturday nights. These night calls are covered by a random call schedule.
Yes, our program offers simulation through our local VA hospital partner. Residents attend trainings during their continuity clinic week. A large portion of this training is focused on POCUS currently, and we intend for our residents to be POCUS certified.
Our program is part of HCA, which houses the largest amount of patient information available. As a resident, you would have access to this data for research purposes. Furthermore, you will be able to pull from the robust local resources as well, including our division research director, Dr. Brady DeHart. Our VA affiliate also offers faculty and resources to our research efforts. Combined, this makes research options almost limitless.
Residents receive $975 per academic year to pay for on-call meals.
Our graduates have gained employment across the country. A few of the many places include:
- New York City
- Santa Barbara, CA
- Oakland, CA
- Ketchikan, AK
- Salem, VA
- Richmond, VA
- Lynchburg, VA
- New Mexico
- Las Vegas
Likewise, our residents have entered fellowships all over the nation:
- Endocrinology - University of Tennessee
- Cardiology - Medical City Fort Worth, TX; Heart & Vascular Institute, Mason City, IA
- Interventional Cardiology - Riverside Medical Center, Kankakee, IL
- Geriatrics - NY Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell and Medical College of Wisconsin
- Nephrology - University of Virginia
- Palliative Care - Ohio Health Riverside Methodist Hospital
- Pulmonology/Critical Care - Corpus Christi Medical Center, University of North Texas
- Sports Medicine - Michigan
- Neuromuscular Medicine - VCOM-Virginia