Talk to your doctor about your health goals. Ask questions to learn about your health and care plan. Talking to your care team can lead to better results.
Here are some tips to help you to talk to your doctor:
- Don't go alone. It helps to have another person hear what is said and think of questions to ask.
- Write your questions ahead of time.
- Write down the answers you get. Make sure you understand what you hear. Ask the doctor to explain anything you don’t understand.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions. Also, ask where you can find more information. You have a right to know.
- What has my stroke changed?
- My thought process
- How I speak or understand words
- How I understand things around me
- How I move
- Will I get back any of these skills?
- How long will it take to get back to where I was?
- How high is my risk of stroke?
- Do I need to take medicine to lower my risk?
- Are there tests I should take to better know what my risk is?
- What habits can I make to lower my risk?
- Can I stop taking medicine if I eat heart healthy foods and stay active?
- What treatments are available to me?
- What type of rehab programs am I going to need?
- How long does rehab last?
- What could happen without treatment?
What medicines are available to me?
- What are the benefits and side effects?
- Will these medicines get in the way of other medicine, or over the counter drugs? What dietary or herbal supplements should I take or avoid?
- Are there any alternative or complementary therapies that will help me?
What is my long-term outlook for:
- Daily tasks
- Physical activity and exercise
- Mental function
- How will this affect my family?
- Should I follow a special diet?
- Should I make any changes to the foods that I eat? How do I do this?
Should I start working out?
- What kind of program is best?
- How often should I exercise?
- How do I get started?
- Should I stop drinking alcohol?
- How can I find help quitting smoking?
- Are there any support groups for myself and my family?
- What are the chances I will have another stroke after treatment?
- How will I know if my treatment has helped?
- What will recovery be like?
- How often will I need check-ups?
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review BoardRimas Lukas, MD
- Review Date: 12/2018 -
- Update Date: 01/18/2019 -